The truth is some dogs are very friendly and will want to be around you always, whereas it will take time for others to get comfortable with you.
The simplest way to learn how to pet a dog is by taking the time to understand the psychology of the dog.
1. If you want to pet a dog, don't force yourself on him. Dogs are animals that can't easily express their feelings and emotions, meaning you wouldn't know when they want you around them, and when they don't.
2. Dogs are friendly animals meaning they will definitely come to you when they need your attention. The interaction should come from the first.
3. If you want to pet a dog, you need to study the dog and learn when he just wants to be around you, when he wants to be touched and caressed, and when he does not want to be touched.
4. Most dogs love to be touched and caressed on the back of their necks, under the chin, on their chest, etc.
Take note that there are different dogs with different preferences on how they would like to be petted. There are some who would like to be petted on the head while there are also others who would rather get belly rubs.
The common areas where they would like to be petted are the following:
• Base of the tail.
• Under the chin.
• The back of the neck where the collar may hit.
There are also some areas that dogs may dislike to be petted. For example, a lot of dogs do not like to be petted on the paws. Some also do not like to be petted on the ears. You need to know your dog’s preferences properly.
There are already some horror stories of people trying to pet dogs but they have ended up getting hurt instead. This is not something that you want to experience right now.
To pet dogs, these are some of the things that you can do.
• If the dog does not look friendly or looks scared, do not try to pet the dog.
• Get to know the common areas where dogs would like to be petted that can be on the base of the tail, under the chin, or the back of the neck.
• Dogs may not like getting touched on top of the head.
• There are also some dogs that do not like their paws to be touched.
Take note that petting should be done so that dogs will start to feel calm and loved. It is a great way to form a bond and eventually become loved by your pet.