I'm a professional writer. I express through my blog and I keep searching for fresh content over the Internet.
Yashu Dhiman, Content Writer, Diploma in Literature, Noida, India
Answered Sep 10, 2020
Confidential data is information that should never be publicly shared because it is a potential identity theft risk to do so. Confidential data is less vulnerable than restricted data, but they still need to be protected around it.
• Some examples of these include social security numbers, driver’s license numbers, credit card numbers, and bank account numbers.
• Confidential data is less vulnerable than restricted data, but they still need to be protected around it.
• Social security numbers, for example, are nine-digit numbers that are issued by the United States social security administration.
• Its primary purpose is as a taxpayer identification number.
• Restricted data, on the other hand, is a classification that is no longer used in the United States.
• It is there to provide superior protection to information that is low level, but because of national security consequences, it should not be released to the public.
• The courts may utilize restricted documents that are not under any circumstances viewable by the public, but these documents during a case.
• Some examples of restricted data include presentence investigation reports, social security case documents, and civil immigration case documents.
Restricted - to be shared among named individuals Confidential - to be shared among an authorized group. Both options are examples of data classification.
Restricted documents can only be viewed by selected individuals. Such information might cause and undesirable effects once it gets to the public. This information is highly sensitive. Restricted documents are usually protected by a Non-disclosure Agreement (NDA) to minimize any legal concerns.
Confidential documents, on the other hand, is a team-wide (can be authorized to a team), and its use should be contained within an organization.
You may have seen “restricted data” and “confidential data” but never knew the difference. These two are very important to know so you can protect yours as well as others’ personal information. When you say Restricted Data, it contains super sensitive data such as the person’s driver’s license number, credit card numbers, or social security numbers.
Confidential Data is less sensitive than restricted data but still needs protection from unauthorized access. Some information that falls in this category is the birth date, home address, or student records. To protect your personal data from identity theft or misuse, do not post the said information online as it can spread fast to millions of people worldwide.
Restricted - to be shared among named individuals Confidential - to be shared among an authorized group.
Restricted data contains super-sensitive information which should be shared among named individuals as leaks of this data may cause identity theft or any other reputational damage. For example:- Financial account numbers, driving license number, etc.
Whereas confidential data contains moderately sensitive information. And this needs to be prevented from unauthorized access. For example:- Home address, phone number, birth date, etc.