Modern-day alcohol inks are much safer to use compared to their predecessors. The first invented alcohol inks used in markers were very toxic that it can be very harmful to your health when you inhaled the smell of it. The old alcohol inks can also cause skin allergies when a person did not wash the area where the ink had a contact on the skin. But since many people are using alcohol inks based products, scientists invented safer inks to be used today.
New alcohol inks are less toxic in terms of when inhaled and when had contact on the skin. Of course, they are still toxic when ingested so when using a marker with alcohol ink, be careful not to put in your mouth when thinking.
When permanent markers (alcohol based markers) were first invented, they were very toxic when ingested and sometimes even when they were in contact with skin and not immediately washed off. Some alcohol based markers were also toxic when it came to the fumes they released.
Some permanent markers’ fumes, such as Sharpie, were even used as an inhalant to get a high off of. With the advances in sciences and the popular increase in all natural and safe products of the home and for children, there have been a few alcohol based markers created that are non-toxic and much safer for the home.