What percent of the Roman population were plebians? - ProProfs Discuss
Advertisement

What percent of the Roman population were plebians?



Asked by Ss, Last updated: May 06, 2022

+ Answer
Request
Question menu
Vote up Vote down

3 Answers

Beni Rodríguez

Beni Rodríguez

something about me...

Beni Rodríguez
Beni Rodríguez, Computer Science, Student, Norway

Answered Dec 12, 2019

90-98% can't be correct when 25% or more (some sources say 1/3 or . 33.33%) of the population were slaves.
Slaves were the third social class in Ancient Rome.

If slaves were, let's say 30%. That leaves us with 70% between Patricians and Plebs. Out of this, probably 90% or even 98% were Plebeians. So let's say 95% of 70% = 66.5%

So, we could say that 3.5% were Patricians, 66.5% Plebeians, and 30% of slaves.

To answer this question correctly, if there's a correct answer between the alternatives. I'd go for C, 55% (taken into consideration that slaves could be 33% (1/3), and the percentage of plebeians, we did eyeball a bit high.

So the correct answer is option C. 55%.

upvote downvote
Reply 

J. Shatner

J. Shatner

J. Shatner
J. Shatner, Content writer, Boston

Answered Jan 09, 2019

Today, the population within a country includes different groups of people based on their socioeconomic status. There is the upper class which has the richest people in it. There is the middle class which includes the working class and usually includes most of the people.

The last group is the lower class which includes the poorer people. Both the upper and lower classes have the fewest numbers of people in them. The same is said in ancient Rome. The Roman population’s middle class were known as the plebians.

As a matter of fact, almost 90 percent of the Roman people were plebians. That means that the upper class with the rich Romans was less than ten percent of the population.

upvote downvote
Reply 

John Smith

John Smith

John Smith
John Smith

Answered Nov 03, 2016

90%
upvote downvote
Reply 

Advertisement
Advertisement
Search for Google images Google Image Icon
Select a recommended image
Upload from your computer Loader
Image Preview
Search for Google images Google Image Icon
Select a recommended image
Upload from your computer Loader
Image Preview
Search for Google images Google Image Icon
Select a recommended image
Upload from your computer Loader

Email Sent
We have sent an email to your address "" with instructions to reset your password.